Sunday 18 March 2012

Copenhagen - November 2011

Friday 18, 2011

Early start, but all like clockwork. It's surprising how many people are around at 5am.

Arrive at airport and breeze through the departure lounge, but am a little concerned that I wasn't cheacked for my passport. When I say breeze through, I mean it.

Arrive to the airport and catch the train to Copenhagen. It is really easy and simple.  

I am staying at Grand Hotel which is literally next to the train station, but true to Little Yap Yap's stupidity, I end up walking the long way to the hotel 1/2 hour later (what should have been a 2 min walk). I check into my 4* hotel which I must say smells pretty musty and smokey. The location however is fantastic and located right next to Trivoli Gardens, which are known for its amusement parks (but you need to pay to enter and I can't be bothered.

I spend my time walking and shopping in the city centre. I just can't believe how expensive the city is! For example, I end up eating a simple schwarma, chips and coke and it costs almost £10 and this is a kebab shop. Crazy!!

Spend the evening eating Churro's, which I can only describe as doughnuts shaped into chips and covered with ice cream and covered in chocolate sauce and drinking Carlsberg and Tuborg beer (Danish beers). It is bloomin' freezing to be wandering the streets.
Copenhagen Train Station

Grand Hotel by night
Trivoli Gardens

Trivoli Gardens by night
Drinking Carlsberg - Possibly the best beer in the world?


Churros


Saturday 19, 2011

An easy start to the day. Decide to go on the hop on hop off bus to see the city. It costs 150DKK which is almost £20. I have to say that....there isn't that much to see in the city. It's quite small. 

The highlight is the mermaid statue, which is heaving with tourists. I can't tell you the story behind this statue, but I believe the cartoon 'The Little Mermaid' stems from the legend behind 'this' statue. It's kind of mind boggling how such a little statue receives so much attention. 

I spend my time shopping...yet again. 

In the evening I just walk around the Christmas Markets. One thing that I notice is how much fur there is. They sell it everywhere. 

Spend the night drinking Carlsberg tinnies and watching Top Gear - Go figure! 


The Mermaid statue 







Pretty scenery
Very cold


Fur ahoy





No comments: